Nikola has had extensive experience of working in a variety ways with a range of organisations and Deafblind people, for example:
- Complex Dual Sensory Specialist Assessments, with recommendations for a range of communication and service planning strategies, working alongside other specialist teams and workers.
- Less complex cases, with older people with age related combined sight loss and additional mobility and age related issues, where some simple and practical solutions have been identified that have made real differences.
FACS continues to work with the philosophy of low cost/high impact and recognises that some simple low cost interventions, with the required training and awareness, are often all that is required.
Communication Case Study
Following a Section 7 Dual Sensory Specialist Assessment of Needs; this case enabled an elderly deafblind person to continue to enjoy and participate in her Day Centre activities and have real and meaningful conversations with her carers, day care staff, family member and friends.
The outcomes were:
- Improved quality of life and well-being
- Social inclusion in the community enabling a sense of participation and belonging
- Reduced risk of depression and anxiety
- Maintaining of independence
- Reduced risk of falling